The original part of this house was thought to have been built in 1827 by Solomon Frost, an early merchant. In 1829 he sold it to Sodwick Fitch, who sold it to prominent attorney William Hamilton. In 1855 the house was purchased by Hezekiah Allen, who managed the estate of the Wadsworth’s. Various improvements were made during his ownership and when he sold it to Harmon Howe in 1864 the house contained “8 fine large rooms”. Harmon Howe was proprietor of the large American Hotel which stood just south of this house. He connected the two buildings with a hall and closed up the intervening space, literally making the two buildings one. In 1876 Clarence Youngs purchased the entire property; sadly, The American Hotel was completely destroyed by fire in 1886. This house received severe damage leaving only the brick walls standing. Elijah Youngs, a former sheriff, purchased the remains from his son for $500, rebuilt it and enlarged it by adding a mansard roof. After his death in 1895, the house passed to another son, E. Fred Youngs, who lived there with his wife, the former Martha Doty. Fred & Martha added the front porch to the house in 1896. After Fred’s death in 1919, his widow sold the house to Miss Ida Stewart who ran a tea room here. Later in the year, she sold it to Mrs. Harriet Green who reopened it as “The Fallbrook Inn”, specializing in chicken dinners. In 1941 the house was purchased by the late Dr. Julia Delehanty and it served as her office & residence for many years. In 1971 the house was purchased & converted to an Italian restaurant on the main floor & two apartments in the upper floors. It operated as such until 1981 when it was purchased by 3 local investors who transformed the restaurant into what it is today.
The Club 41Sportsman’s Pub & Players Lounge. One of the original owners still operates it today. The staff is mostly students attending SUNY Geneseo, “earning extra money for books.” Please keep this in mind when ordering, we always try to do our best.
Please come and visit